I finished reading Looking for Alaska by John Green. It was a book about a skinny college student in the south named Miles "Pudge" Halter who makes friends with Chip "Colonel", Takumi, and Alaska. There are some major spoilers in this book and I'll try not to spoil them but Alaska is a very interesting character. Let's just say something happens to her in the book that really affects everyone. That might reveal too much but this post will be a basic analysis of the character Alaska. A claim? I'll claim that she's interesting. It's been a while since I've read the book so I apologize for this stupid post but I need it.
She seems like your typical college student but she communicates rather philosophically. She does not speak very eloquently though. That's what's interesting about her. She's been through a lot. Her mother died when she was young. This traumatized her and put her into a weird state if guilt where she was living in a state of perpetual guilt. This I think made her a deeper person that made her think more, thus resulting in the philosophical words and what not. She has a very weird relationship with Pudge because she does have a boyfriend who is not him, and she is rather loyal to him. However, she does seem to like Pudge as well. This disloyalty I believe lead to the event that changed a lot of things near the middle of the book. Her guilt constantly kept building up until that thing happened. You're probably thinking suicide, that may or may not be it. But all together Alaska Young has a lot of guilt built up.
This post was very bad, and I apologize for it. Alaska has a lot of guilt because she makes mistakes and does not forget them. This is a bad quality that I think can exists in all of us. How we tend to remember bad things more than good things. If we save 100 people and leave behind 1 we'll think about that 1 person we left behind to die our entire life. Like that guy in social studies who got the medal of honor who saved like 75 people and left behind like 15 and he feels like a murderer. It's a very strange quality that can cause massive guilt and self destruction and regret for the rest of a life. It's devastating.
No comments:
Post a Comment